10/03/2011

Training Recap

This weekend was a special one as far as my training goes because it included two 'first times'. As I've told you in my last post I started off this weekend doing my first brick workout on Friday. It was a beautiful, sunny day and I did a 1:50 h bike ride followed by a short 10 minute run. I dropped my bike off, changed into my running gear and dashed outside the door for the run. I know that I am not a fast runner but I felt as if I was going incredibly fast at first- way too fast. I had read before that coming off the bike, the runner's legs want to go faster than they should and that it takes some time to adjust the rhythm. I experienced that and found that I was just starting to feel more comfortable when I was almost finishing my jog around the block. I was still happy to be done after two hours of working out and am looking forward to getting more experienced at my bricks in the months to come.
Saturday morning I went for a swim at a local public pool that I had not been to before. It opened at 8 am and I was there shortly after. There were already quite a few swimmers, but it wasn't crowded and everybody could comfortably swim in their own lane. My plan called for a 25 minute swim only but I was so glad to be having so much space in the pool that I stayed in the water and did the full 1.5 km (0.9 mile) Olympic distance swim for the first time. It took me 45 minutes and afterwards I was very pleased with my work outs so far. Although I was considering to take Sunday off, I did a short 40 minute run first thing in the morning. It was another beautiful warm morning and I just enjoyed to be out in the still sleepy and quiet city. The fellow joggers and people walking their dogs in the park all seemed to be fairly content themselves. At least that's the impression I got and it sent me off to a perfect fall-Sunday.