10/14/2011

Inspiration II

There's no way I would be exercising so much if it wasn't for my mother in law who really got me started with all this. My husband and I live in Germany but he is originally from San Diego in Southern California where my in laws live. That means I don't get to see my mother in law a whole lot but somehow we connect through our shared interests. My mom in law is one fit lady as she has always been working out and you can tell by the way she looks. It must have been around two years ago now that she got into the p90x workout routines and when we talked on the phone she would always give me updates on her progress. She would let me know that she was doing 50 push ups in one workout but that this number was supposed to increase as she went on with the program. "That's incredibly impressive!" I thought and that I would not be able to do that. As the months passed by, my husband's mom continuously let us know how she was improving and I finally went online to look up the dvds she was talking about. The next thing I knew is that I had ordered the program and was out to buy the dumbbells and other gear needed for the routines. I still vividly remember calling my mother in law after I finished my first p90x-week, telling her that I couldn't even do many of the exercises. She was very encouraging and told me that it was fine to do less repetitions or to do a slightly different and therefore lighter version of the move. It was fun to have somebody to talk to about the workout. And it turned out to be a big encouragement for me to know that she had done the program as well. I didn't want to quit and have to tell her so. After I finished the 90 day program we visited my in laws this summer and my mother in law and I jokingly compared our results while our husbands were just rolling their eyes. While it's not easy to  live extremely far away from family I am grateful for having such a good relationship with my in laws. Despite our different cultural backgrounds we just connected and our shared passions don't end with exercising. My mother in law and I have found that it's much easier to stay slim, if we feed the calories we're not supposed to eat to our beloved pets!

My super fit mother in law and her Corgi


 My belly cat