9/10/2011

Inspiration

Q: How do you come up with doing triathlons if you're a person like me? 
A: You need to spend time watching your younger brother racing!

I would assume that not many people just go out and say "I am going to do triathlons!" if they have never done endurance sports before. I think that I wouldn't if it wasn't for my brother who did his first marathon in 2010 and has been racing in triathlons since. He is actually 6 years younger and contrary to me seems to just have that gift to be very good at endurance sports. Of course he is training hard and our mom always worries about him going a little too crazy with the running, cycling and swimming.
This season he did two Olympic distance tris. He finished his first one in 2:30 in July and last Saturday he came in 14th in his age group and 64th overall (out of over 500) in 2:18. It was a really hot day and his wave started at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Poor triathletes! 

Before the start

Off they go

It is so much fun watching him and I am always very very nervous when I am at his races. My husband tells me that he's doing fine, which - of course - he is, but I just wish I could be out there and make sure everything is a-ok the whole time. When he came into T2 on Saturday (transition from bike to run) his calf was cramping and I think I had bigger issues with this than him.

Cramping

T2


I was such a wreck that I ended up taking pictures of a fence when I was trying to capture him. 

Happy finisher!


What is great about him being so involved with the sport is that I always have my personal go-to guy for any type of questions and concerns. He is more experienced with all aspects of the sport ranging from nutrition to stretching and I am extremely happy to have my personal advisor. He is also tremendously encouraging and patient with his older sister. He would never tell me that I am too slow or doing bad. I am looking forward to being in races together with him next year. It will be great to have him standing by the course after he finished to see his sister do the rest (read: major chunk) of her race. So this post goes out to my favorite little brother! I am so proud of you and I love you more than you think!