9/13/2011

1st Morning Run

Training for a triathlon I have to make time to swim, bike, and run plus I do strength training and stretching. When I go to work in the mornings I do leave the house shortly before 7 am and I usually return home between 2 and 3 pm. That gives me enough time to do my workouts in the afternoon but lately I have been skipping other chores by always putting my workouts first. Right now I am staring at a huge pile of laundry that needs to be ironed just to give you an example. I figured that I have to fit in some of my workouts before I leave for work to get all the things done that won't just disappear because I am into exercising. Well, I wouldn't say that I necessarily am a morning person and I have been hesitant to set my alarm earlier just to go running. But yesterday was the day that I gave a morning run a shot. To be honest I must admit that I didn't have to go to work normal time. I did have to leave the house for a meeting at 10:30 am. So I wanted to be back from my run by nine to be able to shower and eat before leaving. I decided to just go for a very short 3 km run down by the Rhine river. When I left the house at around 7:50 the streets were busy with people rushing to work. School kids were everywhere and I felt great because I was on my way to do something nice. I got to the river and settled in to a nice slow jog. There were just a few other people in the park. Some were running, others were walking their dogs. I would say that I definitely have to get used to be working out so early in the day but although this was just a very short run, the overall experience was great. I even stayed down there for my stretching which I usually do at home because I don't feel comfortable stretching in the park around all the other people but yesterday, I was pretty much alone and having a great time. What I hadn't expected was that the whole rest of the day I felt great because I had already gotten a workout in and didn't have to worry about when I would be able to do it.
It was a great start of my week and I am sure that I will be slowly trying to do more of my workouts in the mornings. Even before I have to go to work.