9/15/2011

Expectations

As I entertained the thought of taking up triathlon training, I expected my daily routine to change. I knew that I needed to make more time to work-out. I figured that I had to focus on what foods I take in. All these things I had read in books.

Here's a few things that I did not anticipate:

  1. I sleep like a baby- or better: a rock. Since I started training my bed time went down from around 11 pm to between 9 and 10 pm and I fall asleep the second the light is turned off. Oftentimes I used to wake up before my alarm goes off in the mornings but now I am literally catapulted out of my dreams every morning by my wonderful cell-phone alarm.
  2. Body lotion is my new best friend. It turns out that skin gets somewhat dry from taking two showers a day and swimming in chlorine water all the time.
  3. Any type of sport seems so much more interesting to me. When I come across other people playing soccer in the park, I stare at them as if I was trying to find an endangered species. I even caught myself watching a Darts tournament on TV the other day.
  4. I know what numbers the sports channels are on.
  5. There's always tons of laundry waiting to be washed. Bike stuff, running stuff, towels... It never ends. Especially if you don't own 10 sets to change for each sport.
  6. I have a more realistic understanding of what it takes for a woman to be muscular. When I see a toned and fit woman I won't think of her as a freak of nature but I respect her for the hard work that stands behind that look. That also means that I have not excuse anymore. Unfortunately I have to stop claiming that "I am just not that skinny"...