11/01/2011

Workout Schedule vs. Reality

Since my first triathlon is not going to be until next July I am currently not under any pressure to get my workouts in as planned. However, I am somewhat ambitious and tend to get annoyed if I don't manage to check off all the routines I have sketched out. Right now I follow a 3-month program designed to get the athlete to cover a sprint distance triathlon when finished. But when I started into the second month of this plan I got sick and had to pause for a couple of days. Things like this happen and I wasn't too worried about it. Today is the last day of a long holiday weekend and once again, I haven't worked out in 4 days because I am feeling sick. It is really hard to make the decision to stay at home for me right now, although I know it's much better to give the body a break and be completely fit before resuming the workouts. I feel so lazy and when I see people jogging, it drives me nuts. I guess it's a good thing that I want to be active and exercising but it's stupid that I can't let go and just relax while sipping at my tea. A year ago I would have never thought that I would feel this way about a few days of not working out but obviously this has changed. Originally I was going to start doing stuff again tomorrow but I think I am going to have to see how I feel and maybe still have to put it off. I just need to wrap my head around the fact that I am not losing out but that I am giving myself enough time to recover fully to be able to put all my energy back into the training.